I can’t quite believe after the problems I’ve had with the quilt, I have now messed up the socks I was knitting for my beloved’s birthday. True the socks were ambitious, knitting antarsia and undertaking my first ever short row heel but this would have been my 6th pair. I thought I was a pro. I was at my knitting group at the pub when I slipped the socks on to test them and realised the were way to tight 😦
You can see here how stretched the stitches are.
The stretching also pulled the lettering out of shape and it just looks awful.
I wasn’t sure what to do after I had put all this effort into it so far so after some discussion with the ladies at knitting group I decided to finish the sock and use it as a Christmas stocking.
Where I went wrong
I think the problem was that I didn’t test the gauge or do any swatches to see how the yarn would knit up. Also I can’t remember there being any sizes on the pattern and a larger size might have helped.
So I still need to knit a pair of socks for beloved’s birthday. I went to a craft shop to see if I could get more of the Regia Dk sock yarn I used last year but this year they have released the yarn in florescent colours and I don’t think he would be into that, however I do like some of the colours ways, especially the blue and pink.
Well at least this episode of screw ups hasn’t put me off. I still have many pairs of socks planned and I’d like to keep using the short row heel as it is much quicker and easier than knitting a heel flap etc. In other news the quilt is coming along. I have been doing little bits of sewing when I get a spare hour so it hopefully won’t be long now.
Thanks for reading